Interlibrary Loan service is restricted to Benedictine University students, faculty, administrators, and staff only.
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
What Is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan (or ILL) is just what it sounds like: items are loaned between libraries.
ILL allows you to request books or periodical articles that you can't find in our Benedictine Library collection. You can request to borrow books from other libraries through the I-Share Catalog or through ILLiad to request books and copies of pages or chapters in a book and perodical articles. We can almost always get you what you need - all you have to do is ask or request!
Our ILL system, called ILLiad, allows you to track your requests, check due dates, renew items, etc. You can also renew books that have only been received through I-Share in your I-Share account.
The first time you log into ILLiad, you will be asked to fill out a one-time registration form.
REMEMBER YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD
Registration has three purposes:
- You won't have to enter your information again each time you make future requests.
- Having your e-mail enables us to notify you promptly when items arrive in the library.
- You can track your requests, renew items, and retrieve articles online.
General ILL Policies
- Before placing a request in this system, check that Benedictine Library does not own it.
- If the Benedictine Library does not own the book, please check the I-Share Catalog. The I-Share (a.k.a VuFind) catalog also requires you to register separately.
- Books borrowed through ILL are subject to any policies or restrictions set by the lending library. Due dates must be strictly enforced or Benedictine can be barred from future borrowing privileges.
- Every request is filled as quickly as possible. Items are subject to availability and the delays of mail service and may take some time to arrive.
- Please provide a complete citation for each request. See a Research Librarian for assistance in locating the information:
- go to the Research Hub
- call 630-829-6057 and ask to speak to a Research Librarian, or
- email or chat with a Librarian
Benedictine University shares resources with 76 other libraries in Illinois!
When using resources from other libraries, you are bound the loaning library's circulation and renewal policies.